25 February 2008

Microsoft Messenger

OK, I don't usually do this but I was having a Messenger conversation with a good friend from back home (Australia) and he told me he'd read some of my blog, and asked me if I'd been to see all the shows I'd written about. Naturally, I said, "no, I wish," and we went on to talk a bit more about this whole "fashion" thing.

He doesn't really know anything about the industry and I always find it hard to explain myself and my relationship with fashion to people who don't know anything about it, but for some reason I decided to have a stab at explaining to him how I feel. Here's the transcript:

Pat says:
i read your other blogs, the ones from the fashion shows
Pat says:
pretty impressive
Eleanor says:
haha thanks ... lol. it's kinda embarassing when i know ppl have read it ... even tho that's the whole idea ... i guess that's just the weird paradox about blogs
Pat says:
lol yeah well nice work
Pat says:
so did you go to all these shows yourself?
Eleanor says:
haha no. i wish. nah, i just went to a couple during london fashion week, but nothing major
Pat says:
oh well they still wouldve been great
Eleanor says:
yeah... the whole thing's kinda funny, really. on one hand i love it and on the other i think it's the biggest load of bullshit
Pat says:
how so?
Eleanor says:
i dunno, the fashion industry can be really amazing and inspiring with incredibly talented artists and designers ... but it can also be really superficial and soulless. there a people who are in the industry just because they want to go to the 'right' parties, be seen by the 'right' people, have the latest trends on their backs and feet and feel superior as a result. for me, these are the people who bring it down.
Pat says:
fair enough, i don't think i'd enjoy the company of those sorts and i can see your point
Eleanor says:
i dont really care about wearing designer labels, for me its an appreciation of the time, thought and effort that has gone into creating something beautiful and new or projecting an idea through the medium of clothing. i think it should be used to express who you are not what you think you should be.
Pat says:
yea
Eleanor says:
anyway, that's my little ramble! :)

(Please excuse my Messenger-lingo and poor grammar and spelling!)

So I guess that was just an expression of my thoughts on fashion at that point in time, I hope I haven't bored you with it but I find it quite interesting especially given the context (i.e. on Messenger and to someone completely unrelated to fashion).

By the way, it is only in hindsight, after I'd had this discourse, that I thought to post it on here. This was not a preconceived plot to reveal my opinions and get up on my soap-box, the idea of a blog is self-promotional enough without me trying to persuade you to think like me - how hypocritical. Though, frankly, if not now then when can we be honest about our opinions?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Randomly stumbled across the blog and perused a number of posts. I think that you're perspective is admirable albeit shared by few in the industry. The concept of fashion as artistic expression has become diluted by commerce (not to say that is necessarily wrong or bad, simply that unlike most forms of art there is clearly economics driving the industry as much as creativity).

Regardless, a well written blog from a different perspective. Enjoyed it.

02 June, 2008 03:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer posts Older posts