23 February 2012

Top five regrets of the dying

A little while back I came across this article by Susie Steiner called 'Top five regrets of the dying' on The Guardian website. It came via someone linking it on some social media network feed, I can't remember who or which. In any case, 'Top five regrets of the dying' is about Bronnie Ware, a palliative care nurse, and her book of the same name (to be published by Hay House 20 March 2012). For several years, Ware had been recording the 'dying epiphanies' of those in their last twelve weeks of life with whom she worked.

According to Ware, these are the top five regrets of the dying (i.e. everyone?):

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.


To read the article and Bronnie's explications of each 'top regret' click this link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying.


For fun, here are some of my responses to these top five regrets:

1. Tell Me What You Want, What You Really, Really Want

2. What are you working for, really? (I am still to come up with a truly convincing answer, and yet I keep going, going, going ... gone?)

3. Madonna said it all back in 1989 (though unfortunately pre- the rise of non-gendered pronoun use in pop songs). And her clip was referencing Fritz Lang's Metropolis (1927), so there is definitely a deeper message on life and expression of feeling (man, machine, etc.) in this song.

4. Does Facebook help? I'm not sure. But I know that friends are the most important things ever and forever, even if they don't last evermore. Precious and invaluable, I'm sure it would be the primary solace - nay, joy! - in dying: 'I spent my life with wonderful people'. What more could you want?

5. Yes, happiness is not a goal it is a choice. If you keep chasing it you'll never find it; it runs faster, hides better, thinks quicker, laughs more, jumps higher and understands everything more deeply than you do. Instead - she tells herself ... - try to face the situation head on. Often, if you look closely enough, glimpses of that elusive H-word reveal themselves. But you must to choose to see them.


Enough cheese for now, enjoy the day !!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer posts Older posts